Register for the next ISBT Corporate Partner Educational Webinar with Terumo BCT!
The ISBT Corporate Partner Educational webinar of Terumo BCT on " Exchanging experience and knowledge during COVID-19 pandemic " will be presented on Tuesday May 12, 2020 at 03:00 PM CEST by Michael Schmidt and Raymond Goodrich.
1. Michael Schmidt: The experience of the German Red Cross Baden-Württemberg-Hessen during the Covid-19 Pandemics
Aim of the webinar: Give background information about the relevance of the SARS CoV-2 pandemic for our blood transfusion service.
A) Changes at blood donation sites
B) Changes in our institutes
C) Pandemic plan
D) SARS CoV-2 NAT testing, FACT method
E) SARS CoV-2 antibody testing
F) Preparation of re-convalescence plasma
G) Blood donor study design
Level of education required (1-5): Level 1-4 depending of different topics of my lecture, but interested people are invited to join the lecture
Prior knowledge required: No special knowledge is required, the information will are presented in the lecture
Target audience: Scientists, blood bankers, students
2. Raymond Goodrich: Innovative approaches to combat a new emergent pathogen, SARS-CoV-2 the causative agent of Covid-19
Aim of the webinar: The aim of the webinar is to provide a basic overview of methods to manage pandemics in the absence and presence of vaccines for disease. I will discuss the use of convalescent plasma in treating infectious diseases like COVID-19 in the absence of vaccine. In particular, there will be emphasis on the use of PRT methods to treat these products, providing data on performance and rationale for their use. In addition, I will review how the methods of PRT treatment are being put to practical use in the development of a new vaccine candidate for COVID-19.
Level of education required (1-5): 3- Intermediate (practical application)
Prior knowledge required: I would recommend that attendees read several articles prior to attending. These include the following:
- JM Mundt, L Rouse, J Van den Bossche, RP Goodrich (2014) Chemical and Biological Mechanisms of Pathogen Reduction Technologies. Photochemistry and photobiology 90 (5), 957-964
- Bihm, D. J., Ettinger, A., Buytaert-Hoefen, K.A., Hendrix, B.K., Maldonado-Codina, G., Rock, G., Giclas, P., and Goodrich, R.P. (2010) Characterizations of Plasma Protein Activity in Riboflavin and UV Light-Treated Fresh Frozen Plasma During 2 Years of Storage at -30C. Vox Sanguinis; 98(2): 2167-2172.
- Arturo Casadevall, Liise-anne Pirofski (2020) The convalescent sera option for containing COVID-19. J Clin Invest. 2020.
- Focosi Daniele, Anderson Arthur O.,Tang Julian W, Tuccori Marco, Convalescent Plasma Therapy for COVID-19: State of the Art. doi:10.20944/preprints202004.0097.v2
Target audience: Scientists, blood bankers, transfusion practitioners, experts in infectious diseases
You can find the recordings of previous webinars on ISBT Education.