A project group from our Clincial Transfusion WP has developed a website resource around key aspects of Patient Blood Management (PBM) which is available on the ISBT website. PBM is an international initiative promoting an evidence-based, multidisciplinary approach at optimising the care of patients who might need transfusion. The key principles entail the appropriate use of blood and blood components only when indicated with the timely use of alternatives where appropriate and available. Various PBM topics will be covered and various training materials are included with links to support implementation.
Chapters 1-5 are freely accessible, login to access the complete resource.
Patient Blood Management (PBM) is an evidence-based, multidisciplinary approach aimed at optimising the care of patients who might need transfusion. It puts the patient at the heart of decisions made around blood transfusion, promoting appropriate use of blood and blood components and the timely use of alternatives where available. PBM represents an international initiative in best practice for transfusion medicine. The Clinical Transfusion Working Party have put together this resource to help support the wider implementation of PBM. It represents experience from a number of countries and contains 20 chapters on various aspects of PBM.
Please click on the hyperlinks below to access chapters 1-5 for free. If you are a member of ISBT you can log in to access the other chapters that have been published so far.
1. Potential benefits to patients and the healthcare system
2. Establishing and implementing a PBM strategy
3. Pre-operative optimisation of haemoglobin
4. Cell salvage - coming soon
5. Tranexamic acid
6. Reversal oral anticoagulation - coming soon
7. Red cell transfusion triggers
8. Single unit Transfusion
9. Platelet Transfusion
10. PBM in laboratory testing, near patient testing - coming soon
11. Obstetric anaemia
12. Neonatal red blood cell transfusion
13. Major haemorrhage - coming soon
14. The Role of the Transfusion Practitioner
15. The Role of Transfusion Committees
16. Patient information and involvement in PBM - coming soon
17. Use of IT to support PBM
19. Educational strategies for healthcare professionals - coming soon
20. Glossary - coming soon