Substantial variability in practice exists in clinical transfusion, patient blood management and blood conservation in paediatrics. Neonates and children are frequently transfused patient populations, yet they are relatively under-represented in clinical trials and the evidence-base to guide practice is limited. A number of clinical practices are extrapolated from the results of adult studies. Yet neonates and children have unique pathophysiology, specific vulnerabilities and different risk profiles compared to adult transfusion recipients. Transfusion decision making in paediatrics needs do consider the potential risks and benefits of a transfusion and any alternatives to transfusion.
The Paediatrics subgroup of the Clinical Transfusion working party of ISBT is an international group of professionals with an interest in neonatal and paediatric transfusion medicine. Our objectives are to develop educational tools and resources, create a network that promotes the sharing knowledge, research and ideas, as well as act as a forum for discussion.
We meet at the biannual ISBT congress and hold regular teleconferences (2-3 times per year).
ISBT members who have an interest in neonatal or paediatric transfusion medicine can apply to join the Working Party. We are keen to encourage members from a broad range of disciplines including scientific, nursing, clinical haematology, paediatrics, neonatology and transfusion medicine.
Interested in joining the Paediatric Subgroup of the Clinical Transfusion Working Party? Please email our Chairperson here.
Some of the content is only accessible for ISBT-members.
To join us, click here.
- Canadian Blood Services – Chapter 13 – Neonatal and Pediatric Transfusion, 2017
- World Health Organization - The Clinical use of blood in medicine, obstetrics, paediatrics, surgery and anaesthesia, trauma and burns, 2001
- AABB - Pediatric Transfusion: A Physician’s Handbook, 4th edition, Edited by Edward C.C. Wong, MD; Susan D. Roseff, MD; and Karen E. King, MD
- NHS Blood and Transplant – Blood Component app for iOS or Android
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute – 2016 proceedings of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute's scientific priorities in pediatric transfusion medicine
- Blood Net – The Pediatric Critical Care Blood Research Network
- Patient Blood Management - Neonatal red blood cell transfusion
- ISBT Magazine Transfusion Today: Neonatal and Paediatric Transfusion, 2017 - 110 - March (ISBT Members only, login required)