Neutrophils are part of the granulocyte family and play an important role in innate immunity. Neutrophils or polymorphonuclear neutrophils (PMNs) make up the largest proportion of circulating leukocytes. Patients with low PMN counts (neutropenia) or functional defects in PMN are more likely to be overwhelmed by infection. Granulocyte-reactive antibodies have been shown to play a key role in the pathophysiology of several immune-mediated neutropenias, transfusion-related acute lung injury (TRALI), auto-immune neutropenia after bone marrow transplantation and febrile transfusion reactions. Post-transfusion, in TRALI, the donor-derived antibodies can cause inappropriate activation of neutrophils leading to damage of the pulmonary microvasculature with severe clinical consequences. Thus, these disorders demand rapid and precise diagnosis using reliable neutrophil serology.
We encourage and support new and emerging granulocyte laboratories through education and organisation of practical workshop-like sessions. We provide access to like-minded colleagues active in (diagnostic) laboratory, research and/or clinical settings in all aspects of granulocyte immunobiology. We discuss standards for serology diagnostics and are involved in education and training programmes for new laboratories. Our WP supports scientific co-operation between our members and organises meetings. We establish and monitor nomenclature for human neutrophil alloantigens (HNA). Moreover, we develop standards for laboratory diagnostics of TRALI and compatibility testing of granulocyte concentrates, detection of anti-granulocyte antibodies, -antigens and we characterise granulocyte antibody-mediated disorders. We support and promote the HNA nomenclature subcommittee.
Our Chairperson is Behnaz Bayat.
We meet at the ISBT congresses and organise International educational Workshops every other year. Also, we regularly organise the exchange of typing sera and typed DNA.
Membership is open to all ISBT members actively working in a (diagnostic) laboratory, research, clinical setting and/or pharmaceutical company of the field of Granulocyte Immunobiology.
Interested in joining the Granulocyte Immunobiology WP? Please email our Chairperson.
Some of the content is only accessible for ISBT-members. To join us, click here.
- Nomenclature of Granulocyte Alloantigens. Transfusion, 1999.
- Recommendations of the ISBT Working Party on Granulocyte Immunobiology for leukocyte antibody screening in the investigation and prevention of antibody-mediated transfusion-related acute lung injury. Vox Sanguinis, 2009.
- External quality assessment of HNA specific antibody detection and HNA genotyping from 2000 to 2012. Vox Sanguinis, 2013.
- Update on the nomenclature of human neutrophil antigens and alleles. Transfusion. 2016 Jun;56(6):1477-9.
- Human neutrophil antigens: a nomenclature update based on new alleles and new antigens ISBT Science Series, 2015 April
- First ISBT Asian Pacific Introductory Granulocyte Serology Practicum Transfusion Today, 2014, Volume 98. (ISBT), p. 27.
- Transfusion-related immunomodulation by neutrophils. Transfusion Today, Volume 93. (ISBT), p. 15.
- The ISBT Working Party on Granulocyte Immunobiology Transfusion Today, 2011, Volume 86. (ISBT), p. 16.
- Future, Present and Past Frontiers of Neutrophil Immunobiology Transfusion Today, 2011, Volume 86. (ISBT), pp. 14-15.
- Granulocyte Feast In Taipei Transfusion Today, 2011, Volume 86. (ISBT), p. 19.
For a list of HNA alleles and antigens click here.